New Prospect Elementary’s
* Deana Rollins - Distinguished Reading Teacher
* Deana Rollins - Distinguished Reading Teacher
* New Prospect Elementary received the 2013 National Blue Ribbon Award on September 24, 2013.
* In August, our annual Summer Reading Celebration was held. Over 75 readers that came to the Media Center this summer at least 3 times were recognized. Students also kept a reading log and a Study Island log.
* This first nine weeks, 8600 Accelerated reader books were read in grades 2-6. 71.5% books read are fiction and 28.5% books read are nonfiction.
* Faculty kicked off the year celebrating summer work on the Unpacking of the Technology Standards.
* Faculty celebrated the Writing Partnership with USC Upstate and the collaborative planning done this past summer.
* New Prospect has a Muse Machine Partnership. Through the Muse Machine Program, we receive three professional performances onsite during the year, one each of music, theater, and dance. These informal performances acquaint students with a particular genre or art form by professional artists, who also discuss not only the art form and presentation, but also what it is like to be a practicing professional artist.
* Julia Snyder received a grant through the Tryon Fine Arts: Be Inspired Grants program. After concentrated evaluation by a select and impartial committee, her project, Catching a Wave of Art was among those selected to receive funding. She received a check for the full amount requested of $500!
* Jeremy Darby received a grant through the Junior League Spartanburg entailing an author visit from Kate Sally Palmer! He received a check in the amount of $500.00 to fund the project, “Picture This”.
* Gayle Elrod and Tracy Wells received a check in the amount of $700.00 to fund their project, “Swinging History Around”!
* Kim McMillin and Kristen Lee received a grant through Junior League of Spartanburg called Camp Read-A lot. Students will experience literacy through the summer and will get a jumpstart on reading before the fall!
* “Grits for Grands” was held for our grandparents in September.
* We are hosting clinical students from North Greenville and Converse College this fall.
* This fall 25 students joined the Drama Club and meet every week to work on theatrical skills. The club is run by Octavio Garcia.
* NPE has a running club for students in grades 3-6 where over 40 students participate.
* Forty-five students made the audition for the Winter drama production, “The Big Chill”.
* Over $500.00 has been raised thus far this fall for Relay for Life!
* 42 students participated in the Active Gamecocks program. Students spent 8,820 minutes in physical activity at home and earned tickets to Gamecock events by turning in their home logs.
* Mrs. Tracy Wells and Mrs. Kaye Foxworth are hosting student teachers this fall from USC Upstate and North Greenville University.
* Fifth grader, Haley Elrod, has a linear perspective art piece that was presented to Dr. Garner and the Board of Trustees. It will be on display at the District Office for the month of November.
* We had 583 Give with Target votes. We received a check for $583.00 for the Media Center with these votes.
* Thank you to Mrs. Downey for coordinating a fantastic Walk to School Day. We had over 672 participants. This included parents, community members, teachers and students.
* Mrs. Stacey Gossett has twenty-seven students in Honors Chorus, grades 4-6.
* The Honors Chorus represented New Prospect Elementary in the Veteran’s Day Parade in Inman, SC.
* Mrs. Kaye Foxworth serves as our Teacher of the Year and attended the South Carolina Technology Conference.
* Ms. Holly Switzer’s project “Duck Dynasty” to get an incubator has received funding from Donors Choose.
* “Let’s Get Ready to Juggle” Mrs. McGarry’s Donors Choose grant was funded for $160.00 to help students activate both sides of the brain for learning.
* PTO has raised over $2,000.00 from the Fall Fundraiser.
* Amy Ruff, Deana Rollins, Philly Haynes, Holly Switzer, Lauren Thorne, Jeremy Darby, and Jennifer Belue had video clips for USC Upstate’s Fall Renewal Conference! Their innovation, inquiry, and integration in teaching were presented to over 100 teachers that attended the conference.
* Kristine McGarry, Octavio Garcia, and Kaye Foxworth presented art infusion at NPE’s staff development. Presentations were tied to the visual, media, and performing arts.
* Anne-Marie Glover, Kristine McGarry, and Lauren Thorne presented how they infuse the arts in fourth grade at the November District One board meeting.
* Amy Ruff and Kristin Williams are being Reading Recovery trained this year making a total of fourteen teachers trained in Reading Recovery at NPE!
* For the district certified teacher assistants training, Jennifer Warren presented, “The Reggio Emilia Approach to Art.”
* New Prospect partnered with Chapman High School to promote reading. Coach Wilson challenged the students by saying, “You need to read!” This challenge continued by students keeping a specific fall log of books read. Over 110 students met the specific requirements and were recognized at the CHS football game. They received a free student and adult ticket to the game CHS vs. Broome.
* Student Council Representatives: 4th Grade Representatives – Jonah Rollins, Alyssa Searcy, Elizabeth Williams
o 5th Grade Representatives – Graham Driggers, Aaron D’Silva, Hailey Martin
o 6th Grade Representatives – Makenzi Cassidy, Brett Jackson
Prior Years Accomplishments
· NPE was selected as a nominee for the Blue Ribbon Award
· Jodi Wright and Jeremy Darby received their M.Ed. in Administration from Converse College
· April Seymour, Gayle Elrod, and Briana Wright are participating in the Instructional Coaches training
· Teachers hosted student teachers
· Teachers presented at the SCIRA Reading Conference
· K-4-Grade 1 teachers held Common Core workshops
· Denise Humphries and Deana Rollins are being trained in Reading Recovery
· 13 students are served in Reading Recovery
· Sarah Chastain, Foxworth and Beth Kennerly received Donor’s Choose Grants
· NPE received $200.00 from Give With Target
· Gayle Elrod was named NPE Teacher of the Year
· Phillipa Haynes was named Reading Teacher of the Year
· Julie Smith was named Support Staff of the Year
· Peggy Edwards retired from NPE after 10 years of service but with a total of 43 years in education
· Provided an afterschool tutoring program for at-risk students
· Americorp students from Chapman and Landrum High school assisted students in math and reading instruction
· Students earned 46,812 A.R. points with 91 % average
· Annalee Byrd beat the school record for A.R. by earning 844.5 A.R. points
· Summer Reading Program “Wild About Reading” is a program where the media center is open for ten sessions for book check-out , storytime, and A.R. testing
· Camp-Read-A Lot was held four sessions during the summer in conjunction with the Summer Reading program for the first grade Reading Recovery students
· Third grade had 100% pass the Multiplication facts and receive medallions sponsored by Kiwanis and McDonalds
· Leela Gordon was selected as NPE Spelling Bee winner
· Parker Morin was Terrific Kid of the Year
· Students participated in the Regional Science Fair held at USC upstate
· 52 students are served in EXCEL in grades 3-6
· EXCEL participated in the Invention Convention
· 65 students were identified by the Duke TIP Program
· 6th grade went on a two night overnight field trip to Barrier Island Environmental Camp
· Honor’s Chorus performed at the Bill Drake Christmas Show, performed for JOY club, participated in the Veteran’s Day Parade
· 15 participate in our sixth grade beginner band and 6 participate in the string program
· Pieces of art work were displayed at the Chapman Cultural Center
· $1200.00 was raised for March of Dimes
· Over 200 children participated in the March of Dimes Reading Champions program and received a medal
· Students participated in B.A.R.K. (Books Are Really Keen) program and each child receives two books during the school year and each homeroom teacher receives ten books for their classroom library
· 100% of the faculty gave to the United Way
· Relay for Life raised $8514.00 Gold Level
· Relay For Life Best Campsite Award
· Relay For Life Best Spirit Award
· Ingles Tools for Schools raised over $2500 ranked no. 12 out of four state area
· Box Tops for Education raised $1609.80
· The School Mall Campaign raised $ 868.13
· NPE participated in Walk to School Day and won 3rd place for the county in the Golden Shoe Award
· Raised 2076 canned food items for the canned food drive in December 2012
New Prospect is Proud to Celebrate the Arts
· Offered an Afterschool Honors Chorus in addition to the regular chorus program
· Honors Chorus performed at Bill Drake Christmas show
· Honors Chorus performed for Wofford ballgames
· 8 Reel Art contest participants
· NCDA Poetry and Poster Contest was won by Sydney Strawbridge
· Six pieces of art displayed at Chapman Cultural Center
· Ten pieces of art displayed at Chapman Cultural Center for District One Show
· Two Reading Recovery Poster contest winners
· Developed Art Work for District One Christmas Card (Anna Thornton)
· Principal’s Art Gallery opened
· Over 35 participated in our 6th Grade beginner band and strings (65% of our 6th grade class)
· Piano Guild highest percentage completion of any school in North and South Carolina
· Two NPE students recognized for their perfect performance scores at Piano Guild
· NPE had the overall winner in North and South Carolina in Intermediate One, Robert Christie